도서검색

자유게시판

Linebacker-Turned-Hippie High for the Game - A Book Review

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Myrtis Monette
댓글 0건 조회 52회 작성일 23-11-03 23:06

본문

A number of weeks ago I posted a couple of Sports Illustrated article that featured former Raiders linebacker-turned-hippie, hippie days slot Chip Oliver. The article brought on me to revisit Oliver’s autobiography, High for the game, which he co-authored with Ron Rapoport in 1971.

The son on an Army sergeant, Ralph "Chip" Oliver bounced around some whereas growing up, before settling in at Hoover Highschool in San Diego. His route to professional football was relatively unconventional, as he bought married and spent time in Las Vegas after high school, but soon divorced and came back to San Diego City College. He then made his solution to USC earlier than becoming a member of the Oakland Raiders as an 11th spherical draft choice in 1968. Oliver had a two-season professional career, averaging 5 tackles-per-game from his linebacker place and scoring one touchdown on an interception. However, the life of an expert football participant by no means really appealed to Oliver, and he quit the Raiders after the 1969 season. From there he grew to become a vegetarian (which have been his tendencies already through the 1969 soccer season), swore off material possessions, joined a commune, and started working in a pure foods retailer.

Reading High for the sport is an interesting experience in that a lot of what Oliver says about the AFL/NFL has truly come to mild over the last few years with reference to the long-term bodily injury that has haunted many players since their retirement from the game. In a no-holds-barred fashion, Oliver blasts professional football for treating players as items of meat, pumping them filled with pain-numbing drugs and amphetamines, and then discarding them like frequent garbage when they'll no longer sustain excessive levels of play on the sphere. In a approach, Oliver was ahead of his time in his beliefs, and willingness to vocalize them. However…

Chip Oliver was also a full-blown hippie, which immediately contrasts with the seemingly All-American normal of the 1960s skilled soccer player. He loses vast amounts of credibility when he describes attending practices high on mescaline, advocates using LSD, and talks about smoking huge amounts of marijuana. He also provides his ideas on the political scene of the day, and offers his views for "solving" the problems that plagued our nation at the time.

Frankly, I discovered the book interesting. As somebody who was born in 1972, I enjoyed reading Oliver’s points of view, if only so that I could better-perceive the mindset that was so prevalent among individuals in the course of the period. Oliver’s inside tales of one of many AFL’s biggest teams had been additionally interesting, though most of his tales have been used to illustrate his personal opinions slightly than to adequately doc the staff. However, it is obvious that he had an axe to grind on the time of writing, and his arguments appear comical, as least when considered by means of contemporary eyes.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Concerning the Author: Todd Tobias

Related Posts

- What happened to the Oakland Raiders? Gallery What happened to the Oakland Raiders?

- The AFL’s Greatest of Rivalries Gallery The AFL’s Greatest of Rivalries

- He was a Terror on the sector, but Ben Davidson was Cool. He was a Terror on the sector, however Ben Davidson was Cool.

- Hall of Fame Vote Tomorrow! Johnny Robinson & Tom Flores! Hall of Fame Vote Tomorrow! Johnny Robinson & Tom Flores!

- AFL Legend Billy Cannon Passes Away Gallery AFL Legend Billy Cannon Passes Away

32 Comments

1. Charles Oakey December 16, 2013 at 12:28 PMLog in to Reply I've this ebook. I was at the 1969 Raider/Charger played at San Diego Stadium. Before the sport because the Raider gamers had been leaving the sector to enter the tunnel after warm-ups Chip Oliver smiled at me and gave me the peace signal.

2. TK December 16, 2013 at 12:36 PMLog in to Reply http://www.dvdizzy.com/allinthefamily-completeseries2.html

Scroll to center of web page

Chip auditioning for the son-in-regulation position in "All in the Family ….

3. Mark Speck December 16, 2013 at 2:41 PMLog in to Reply I have not read this book. Would love to. Gotta seek for a duplicate. Thanks Todd.

- Matt Haddad (a.k.a. overdrive1975) December 16, 2013 at 3:Fifty three PMLog in to Reply Hey Mark, I used to be Just speaking about your league a couple hours ago. On this very site-on the article titled "The Packers could have won Super Bowl I…" (December 10th, 2013)-I comment that Ken Bowman loved his time playing for Hawaii in 1975.

I'm still highly serious about your e book on the 1974 Florida Blazers. I e-mailed you about it nearly a pair years ago (early 2012), and that i want to contact you again. I’m certain I nonetheless have your address, however I believed I’d say something now.

Your book covers an period of football that came proper after the period Chip Oliver writes about. Fascinating instances, no doubt.

4. Michael Rivo December 16, 2013 at 2:Forty two PMLog in to Reply Enjoyed the article, Todd, however I fail to see how Oliver "loses huge amounts of credibility when he describes attending practices high on mescaline, advocates the usage of LSD, and talks about smoking huge amounts of marijuana." It's possible you'll not approve of Oliver’s admitted drug use (I do know I don’t), however whether or not he used or did not use medicine has nothing to do together with his credibility unless there are people who can prove that Oliver’s statements of fact (not opinion) should not true. In the absence of that, we will all agree that Oliver was a free spirit with the bodily expertise and means to play skilled football.

Michael Rivo San Diego, CA

- Todd Tobias December 16, 2013 at 3:03 PMLog in to Reply Interesting. I may not have correctly expressed myself. My that means was that at the very least to me, Oliver loses credibility together with his statements concerning personnel, health, and many others. of the Raiders as a result of most of his observations were made while below the affect of mind-altering medication. People can use or not use as they select, but i brlieve that their observations whereas underneath those medicine ought to be accepted with a grain of salt.

If you loved this informative article and you would want to receive details with regards to hippie days slot assure visit our webpage.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

회사명 (주)윤조북스 주소 인천광역시 연수구 센트럴로415, 101동 3908호
    대표 배용석 전화 050-5369-8829 팩스 02-6716-1989
    사업자 등록번호 173-81-02436 통신판매업신고번호 제 2022-인천연수구-1962호 개인정보 보호책임자 배용석

Copyright © 2022 (주)윤조북스. All Rights Reserved.

고객센터

• 전화(평일 오전 10시~오후5시) 050-5369-8829
  • 팩스 02-6716-1989
  • 이메일 customer@yoonjo.co.kr